Luke-Acts Study Series
This Bible study series takes us through the books of Luke and Acts as we examine the story of Yeshua (Jesus) and his earliest followers from a Messianic Torah perspective. Our particular focus in this study will be on three areas: God’s people (Israel), God’s precepts (Torah), and God’s plan (eschatology).
For many interpreters throughout history, Luke and Acts represent a decisive break with the Tanakh (Old Testament) in precisely these three areas. According to this view, Luke-Acts narrates the birth of the church and the replacement of the old people of God (the Jews) with a new, multi-ethnic people of God. Likewise, Luke-Acts demonstrates the annulment of Old Testament commandments and the particulars of Torah observance in favour of a new standard of obedience for God’s people that is devoid of anything “Jewish.” Finally, it is assumed that Jesus came to overthrow Jewish expectations that looked for a literal restoration of Jerusalem and a Davidic king who would deliver them from Roman oppression; instead, Jesus offered a spiritual kingdom that allegorized Old Testament prophecy and turned its nationalistic promises into universal spiritual propositions for the church.
Our goal in this series is to demonstrate a radically different approach. As recent scholarship is beginning to demonstrate, Luke-Acts betrays powerful continuity with the Tanakh in the above three areas. Luke emphatically articulates God’s faithfulness to his people (Israel), the ongoing validity of his precepts (Torah), and a dynamic confirmation and realization of God’s end-time plan. It is time for us to recapture the deep, Jewish flavour of these books and the story that they tell so masterfully. Join us as we encounter anew the story of the true King of Israel, Yeshua of Nazareth, and the tales of his earliest followers.
The following is a list of all the sessions in this series. This outline will be updated with links to the sessions as they become available. You can also check out our YouTube channel or subscribe to the Segullah audio teachings podcast.
- Session 1: Harbingers of Redemption (Luke 1:1–25)
- Session 2: Unto You Is Born a Saviour (Luke 1:26–2:52)
- Session 3: John the Baptist, Herald of Repentance (Luke 3:1–20)
- Session 4: The King’s Anointing (Luke 3:21–4:13)
- Session 5: Yeshua the Teacher and Healer (Luke 4:14–6:49)
- Session 6: The Sermon on the Plain (Luke 6:20–49)
- Session 7: The Parables and Yeshua’s Mission (Luke 7–8)
- Session 8: Rome versus Jerusalem (Luke 8–10)
- Session 9: Seeking the Kingdom (Luke 11–13)
- Session 10: The Kingdom, the Torah, and Israel (Luke 10–17)
- Session 11: The Cost of Discipleship (Luke 14–18)
- Session 12: The King Enters Jerusalem (Luke 19–21)
- Session 13: The Suffering and Exalted Servant (Luke 22–24)
- Session 14: Power from on High (Acts 1–2)
- Session 15: Peter Announces the King (Acts 2–5)
- Session 16: Continually in the Temple (Acts 4–7)
- Session 17: Samaritans and Gentiles (Acts 8–11)
- Session 18: The Gentile Mission (Acts 11–14)
- Session 19: The Jerusalem Council part 1 (Acts 15)
- Session 20: The Jerusalem Council part 2 (Acts 15)
- Session 21: The Amazing Adventures of Paul (Acts 16–20)
- Session 22: Back to Jerusalem (Acts 20–23)
- Session 23: From Jerusalem to the Ends of the Earth (Acts 24–28)