Love, Fruit, and Gifts of the Spirit: 1 Corinthians 13-14December 25, 2018
(Ruach HaKodesh, Session 10b)
This session of the Ruach HaKodesh series examines Paul’s discussion of the gifts of the Spirit in 1 Corinthians. Our last episode (part 1) focused on 1 Corinthians 12, which sets the stage for Paul’s discussion of spiritual things. In this episode, we focus on chapter 13 which is often referred to as the “love chapter.” Far from a rabbit trail, 1 Corinthians 13 is actually a pivotal component of Paul’s argument concerning the gifts of the Spirit.
Some of the highlights of this episode include:
- Why speaking in tongues, prophecy, and selflessness are nothing without love (1Cor 13:1-3).
- Eight things love does, and eight things love doesn’t do.
- A rabbinic midrash about mirrors.
- Parallels between the fruit of the Spirit and 1 Corinthians 13
- Why 1 Corinthians 14:26 may not be describing a model worship service.
This session ends with a brief look at chapter 14 of 1 Corinthians, anticipating our next session on the gift of tongues.