The Gift of Tongues – part 1: Definitions and HistoryFebruary 22, 2019
(Ruach HaKodesh, Session 11a)
This session of the Ruach HaKodesh series takes a closer look at the gift of tongues. This gift is a fascinating topic that interests a lot of people, but it has also been a source of much division. As we embark on this journey, we hope to tackle some of the following questions:
- What exactly is the gift of tongues?
- What is the purpose of the gift of tongues?
- Did anyone speak in tongues before Acts 2?
- Is the gift of tongues for believers today, or did it cease after the time of the apostles?
- Is the gift of tongues for all believers, or only some?
- Is the gift of tongues practiced by the modern tongues movement the same as the Biblical gift of tongues?
In this episode, we begin by defining some terms and then take a whirlwind tour through the history of Christian interpretation and practice on this subject. This is meant to introduce us to some of the varying positions out there before we dive into some critical Scriptural passages on this gift in the next three episodes.